Day: May 11, 2018
Early start as the gym opened. Did 20 mins on rowing machine, followed by 25 mins going around weights machines. Mixed up leg and upper body weights.
Would have done a bit more but was picking up Emma from work.
Right heel seemed ok, legs were tired but heel wasn’t complaining.
Second appointment, this time with the senior physio. Changed approach a bit. Focusing on calming down the sore heel as a priority.
- Ibuprofen gel (for 2-3 days only)
- More resting, watch for overdoing standing and walking (less standing at desk)
- Use silicone heel cups in shoes/trainers
- Keep rollering calves and stretching hamstrings
- Changed 3×30 heel drops on a step to 6x heel raises both feet together on flat surface, repeated ‘little and often’ throughout the day
- 3x gym sessions per week to cross train – rowing, cycle, weights machines etc
Seems like a gentler approach to get heel in recovery before building back up. Physio said Windermere marathon on 20 May would be too big a risk, very likely to set me back. But very confident of me being fit and ready for the 55k trail ultra in July. Got to look at the big picture.
While being assessed my treatment notes blew out the open window, out onto the busy road. Physio ran out and caught them 🙂